National German Adviser
P: +64 27 261 4279
Alexandra is the National German Adviser, based in Auckland at the office of Tui Tuia | Learning Circle.
As the National German Adviser in New Zealand, she is part of the Centre for Languages team in Auckland but also connected to the German Goethe Institute in Wellington.
She studied at the University of Cologne and accomplished her teacher training for Modern Foreign Languages in the UK. Alexandra has worked as a language teacher, in Ireland, the UK and Germany.
Alexandra’s role is to support the promotion and development of the German language education in New Zealand.
Her main focus is on:
- Offering workshops, courses and meetings focusing on teaching materials, resources and pedagogy that promote intercultural communicative language teaching in German
- Supporting schools with advice and guidance on establishing and sustaining German language programmes
- Providing information on networking opportunities for teachers of German
- Providing advice and guidance on immersion opportunities, scholarships and professional learning opportunities both in New Zealand and Germany
- Providing opportunities for higher education students from both New Zealand and Germany to experience life and education in New Zealand or Germany working as an English or German language assistant
- Participating in academic and cultural events (German Film Festival, Goethe Society Club etc.)
Teachers of German in New Zealand may benefit from the professional support offered by the following organisations:
German in Aotearoa New Zealand (GANZ)
A subject association which provides support for teachers and students. To join visit http://ganz.ac.nz.
German Teachers’ list serve
This email group is an excellent source of information and resources. It is also the primary medium through which organisations advertise opportunities, scholarships, grants and other important information for teachers and students. To register, contact GANZ - http://ganz.ac.nz
New Zealand Association of Language Teachers (NZALT)
A professional network of language teachers with over 500 members. It runs a number of initiatives to support teachers including competitions and professional development opportunities. To join visit www.nzalt.org.nz.
A German cultural institute with a global reach which provides information for teachers and students of German. Visit www.goethe.de
Offers a variety of cultural experiences, ranging from information talks in either English or German to screenings of German- language films. Visit Auckland Goethe Society www.AucklandGoetheSociety.org or Wellington Goethe Society www.welly-goethe.org.nz.
Resources and support for German Language Programmes are:
National German Adviser
The National German Adviser provides teachers with information on teaching resources and sustaining German language programmes.
For more information please contact the National German Adviser.
To find out more about workshops offered by the German National Adviser, please look at our Upcoming Workshops.
- Promotional brochure for learning German in New Zealand.
- Promotional film related to the above.
- German Phrase of the week poster.
- Why learn German poster.
- "With German Where To?" Infographic.
TKI Learning Languages
The Learning Languages Community is a portal to professional learning opportunities, professional support for the New Zealand Curriculum, pedagogy, assessment, resources and key links for language teachers. Learning Languages publishes regular newsletters to keep language teachers informed about important deadlines and events. Visit http://learning-languages.tki.org.nz/
E-library of the Goethe-Institut New Zealand
A virtual library, where a range of German resources are available. Visit http://www2.onleihe.de/goethe-institut.
Immersion and scholarship opportunities for teachers of German are:
Up to 5 scholarships are available for teachers of German at primary, secondary or tertiary level to attend a two or three-week Professional Development Seminar on German language, methodology, culture and special topics at a Goethe-Institute in Germany. Visit German Immersion and Scholarship.
Scholarships for teachers to refresh or advance their language level at a four or eight-week course at a Goethe-Institute in Germany. For more information, visit German Language Courses.
Find more details for the PAD scholarship on the German student scholarship page.