Scholarships for Students of German
The National German Adviser, Future Learning Solutions - Centre for Languages and the Goethe-Institut expect to be able to award several scholarships for New Zealand Year 12 students studying German.
Finalists will be invited to an immersive final selection weekend in Wellington.
To apply, students must:
- have studied German for at least two full years, studying German in Year 12 and continue their German studies in Year 13
- achieved NCEA Level 1
- not be native speakers of German
- have NZ citizenship or permanent residency whose secondary education has been in NZ
- be aged between 16 and 18 at the time of the scholarship
- have sufficient resilience and maturity to cope with and benefit from total immersion into German language and culture
- be able to work together in teams, socially sensitive, and have good communication skills
Teachers, please nominate your top students. To increase your students’ chance of success, please encourage them to apply for both scholarships.
PAD Student Scholarship to Germany (Mid-year)
PAD scholarship winners will spend four weeks in Germany in June/July. Students stay with a German host-family for some of the time, have the opportunity to attend school and get to know the local community.
In addition they will be taken on a tour to other parts of Germany. Costs connected with the selection process are covered by Future Learning Solutions - Centre for Languages and the Goethe-Institut. The German government funds travel, accommodation and some pocket money.
Scholarship winners are provided with return tickets to Germany and insurance cover. Prior to their departure for home, all scholarship winners from New Zealand and Australia meet at a camp and travel together to Bonn and Berlin.
These costs (approximately $600) must be paid by the scholarship winners themselves who are also responsible for an adequate supply of pocket money during their stay, expenses in conjunction with organised trips, and for the cost of all travel in Europe. Host parents are expected to accommodate and cater for their guests.
Please note: It is required that the scholarship recipients host their German exchange partner the following year.
Application Form and Information:
For an application form, please contact us.