Has it been too long since you were immersed in the language and culture that you teach?
Is an international trip normally too tricky to manage with your home and work life, let alone our uncertain Covid-19 world?
The 2021 Language and Cultural Immersion Programmes for teachers of Chinese, French, German, Japanese and Spanish, are an opportunity for teachers to spend five nights in Queenstown soaking up their target language and culture with the Future Learning Solutions' team, other selected teachers from around the country and language/culture-specific organisations.
Programme content includes:
- Daily language classes in the target language.
- Daily inter-cultural activities/events around Queenstown and the surrounding area.
- Meeting local native speakers and opportunities to interact wherever possible.
- Two formal evening meals with your language group.
Benefits of these programmes:
- Refresh your language and culture alongside other teachers.
- Expert language tuition.
- Use your language in activities in and around Queenstown.
- Feel re-inspired to go back to your classrooms with new ideas and tools.
- Connect with other teachers.
Examples of individual language programmes can be viewed in the links below. PLEASE NOTE, these are examples ONLY and the timings and activities are subject to change.
Chinese, French and German: Sunday, 3rd October - Friday, 8th October.
Japanese and Spanish: Sunday, 10th October - Friday, 15th October.
Applicants must be currently teaching the target language of the programme that they apply for. Preference will be given to New Zealand registered teachers who:
- Are currently engaged with Future Learning Solutions' professional pathways i.e. GROW, Explore, National Language Advisor workshops or PACT.
- Are involved in Levels 1 to 4, Years 7-10, of the learning languages area of the curriculum.
- Are non-native speakers of the target language programme that they apply for.
For this programme, Future Learning Solutions will arrange and pay for:
- Domestic flights or transport to and from Queenstown.
- Accommodation, airport transfers, cultural activities and language lessons during programme dates.
- Breakfasts, lunches and two formal evening meals.
For this programme, participants arrange and pay for:
- Domestic transport to the programme where domestic flight is not applicable but transport is still required i.e. bus or personal transport (with agreed reimbursement post programme).
- Transport to and from the participant's local airport for the programme where Future Learning Solutions has arranged the domestic flight.
- Personal expenses and incidentals.
- Three evening meals.
PLEASE NOTE: This programme is designed for teachers to engage with a group of colleagues. Spouses and families, unfortunately, cannot travel with teachers to the programme. Accommodation is provided for the participant only.
Quotes from some of the 2020 Queenstown Domestic Immersion Week participants:
"A great way to improve your own language and cultural knowledge while gaining new teaching ideas and collaborating with colleagues."
"A fantastic supportive network of professionals working together to move each person forward in their teaching and linguistic capacity."
"It is an intensive opportunity to increase your knowledge and cultural understandings and to connect with other teachers who are like-minded in a fantastic setting."
"A superb opportunity to be fully immersed in the target language, meet new colleagues, and get a lot of teaching ideas and updates on what is "in' at the moment."